Wisdom Tooth Extractions Near You
At Henday Dental, we offer wisdom tooth extraction in North Edmonton. The extraction of wisdom teeth can proactively prevent future dental issues and create the required space for your remaining teeth to grow and contribute to a vibrant and healthy smile.
Our Edmonton dentists understand that having your wisdom teeth removed can be a daunting experience. That’s why our team is dedicated to providing personalized care to each of our patients.
WHAT ARE WISDOM TEETH?
Wisdom teeth are the colloquially way refer to our ‘third molars.’ They are teeth that emerge at the back corners of the mouth. The majority of adults have four wisdom teeth, with one located in each section of the mouth. They appear usually when someone is in their late teens to mid-twenties although the exact timing can differ for each person.
Wisdom teeth were necessary in our early human ancestors for grinding and chewing tough foods, but they have become less essential in modern times due to changes in diet and advancements in dental care. While some individuals have sufficient space in their mouth for these teeth to develop without complications, others may face challenges like impaction, infection, or overcrowding.
WHY GET THEM REMOVED?
While not everyone requires extraction of their wisdom teeth, it is a common procedure with valid reasons. The majority of cases involve insufficient space in the mouth for proper eruption, resulting in impaction and potential complications such as infection, tumors, or damage to adjacent teeth.
The type of impaction varies based on where in the jaw the tooth is positioned. Soft tissue impaction is the event where a crown emerges but is partially or fully obstructed by gum tissue, leading to dental issues and infections. The types of impaction are:
- Partial bony impaction happens when the tooth partially emerges but remains partially covered by gum tissue, posing risks of infections and decay.
- Complete bony impaction refers to the tooth’s inability to emerge from the jawbone, requiring a more intricate extraction process.
If you are wondering if wisdom tooth extractions near you are the right call, at Henday Dental, we recommend extracting wisdom teeth. It is especially recommended when patients experience discomfort, pain, infections, decay, or swelling.
We also suggest removing them as a preventive measure. It is often better if we remove wisdom teeth rather than waiting until issues arise, that way the focus can be on the extraction without any added issues surrounding it.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS OF WISDOM TEETH REMOVAL?
If you are wondering how we perform wisdom teeth extractions in Edmonton, here are the steps:
- They are most often carried out in a standard dental office, administering local anesthesia and sometimes partial or full sedation, except for complex cases. Our dentists at Henday Dental who perform these surgeries have undergone specific training and have a wealth of experience in this area.
- After the procedure, you are able to go home and we will provide you with guidelines on how to take care of yourself during the healing process.
- If you experience pain or swelling, we will offer medication to ease your discomfort.
Are you looking for wisdom tooth extraction in Edmonton? At Henday Dental, we take the time to discuss your individual situation and ensure you are comfortable with the procedure before recommending the best course of action for your tooth extraction. Call today to book an appointment for wisdom tooth extraction near you!